Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Spinward, Corward, Backward, Forward

How about a post that isn't so intimidatingly long? Working in an office is really a different experience than my usual lineup of jobs requiring more physical labor or tending to human larvae. I seem to be exploring the stereotypical office "characters" more every day. One thing I've noticed is the back office is entirely crewed by Vogons. Yes, Vogons, the villians from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There is a collection of older individuals who all have raspy voices and stooped backs working in a darkened collection of cubicles like some kind of Turkish slave galleon. Navigating the complex inter-department network of the college buearcracy is akin to running through a maze to find, not a block of cheese, but the entrance to another maze, typically one that requires me to make copies to three different people. But it's not all that bad, I'm not moving 200 gallon containers of boiling soup in a factory floor in unsafe conditions getting yelled at in some kind of Slavic language I don't recognize (that was earlier in the summer, before I decided I wanted to have a future after all). Plus, the kind of work I do in the office is reserved for the most temporary and unskilled positions, so I imagine it's not quite so bad when you get higher up, not that I'll work at the college for too long anyway.

Moving from the summer housing to my Fall 2005 room on the 16th, it's confirmed and I have one less thing to worry about now, I'm so tantalizingly close to being ready for the 2005-2006 year I can taste it. In the meantime, I have more summer to frivolously enjoy.

Charles

2 Comments:

Blogger zamzummim said...

Well, speaking of Vogons and HHGG, although I am certain you must have heard it elsewhere, they found a tenth planet.

I would rather that its name ends up Rupert than Xena, as the discoverers at CalTech are calling it, but oh well.

August 4, 2005 at 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I can't find my pance...

August 6, 2005 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home