Sunday, August 08, 2004

Babel of Iron Sounds

Imagine my surprise when I glanced out my window here in Northern Gresham and I saw my sleepy neighborhood street clogged with swarms of cars and foot traffic. I thought there was an accident or a party or a fireworks show or something. As it turns out, the nearby Firestone building, which was a tire factory and has since been converted into what amounts to a rubber storage facility, burst into flames. It was quite a sight to see a pillar of oily black smoke rising into the clear blue sky, like a sudden stain spreading through a cotton shirt. I've never seen that much smoke in my life, it was really something amazing to behold. I pondered the traffic, though, because my house was basically right next to the whole conflagaration, yet people were coming to my street in droves. It was then that I realized that it had become a community spectacle. An entire crowd of ambulance chasers, some with small children in toe, had gathered at the perimeters to witness the destructive inferno consume a building full of melted tires. To be honest, I would have joined them if I did not already have plans to meet with Brad and Andy, who had to negotiate a new meeting point due to the horrific traffic situation surrounding my cozy little street. Fortunately, the old tire factory is next door to the local firestation, so the response was, needless to say, quick.

For those of you who know little or nothing of Photshop Phriday, check this out. For those of you who do know about it, check that out anyway. Most of the topics are pretty funny, I'm a big fan of the "fake games" series which recently had its fourth installment on Something Awful. But this last friday had a really unique topic. The only clue I shall reveal is: "Terminators with Hats."

Finally, here is a brief overview of the long-abandoned ELEAWTA:

In the beginning there were animals. Then came Man. Then, there were a whole hell of a lot less animals. One man looked out over all of the species that were fading from the Earth and realized that many of those in danger were themselves dangerous, possessing sharp claws, many teeth, and myriad defenses. He realized also that he did not care about the other endangered animals in the least. In the interest of preserving the memory of the dangerous animals, most notably their flavor, after they vanished completely, that man started an organization - Eating Lethal and Endangered Animals While They're Alive. ELEAWTA, a growing organization of likeminded individuals, has since gone to whatever lengths necessary in their endless quest to find the most dangerous and endangered animals alive, defeat them in one-on-one combat, and eat them before they are gone forever.

Decide for yourself fellow true-believers.

2 Comments:

Blogger 111 said...

Yeah I saw the billowing smoke when I was over at Adam's house. I started to panic actually because it looked like it was near my house. I mean my dad being the "handyman" that he is (read: similar to tim the tool man taylor...) I figured it was quite possibly it was my house burning up (besides being a germ freak I am also an obsessive worrier and tend to overly imagine.) So on my way to the movie collateral I kept calling and calling until they picked up. Sorry Charlie, I would have come over to make sure you were ok but Tom Cruise was calling me...

August 8, 2004 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger 111 said...

Who's your buddy?

August 8, 2004 at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home