Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Sea God of the East, Azure Sea of the West

This last sunday and monday, I participated in the great Andy/Brad move-in downtown, and it only reinforced my desire to get back to school where I have privacy and freedom from my family. I ended up hanging out with them for a few days, reading Brad's roleplaying books and playing tons of Soul Caliber 2 on the Xbox. One interesting note though. I decided to crash on their couch monday night, and go home tuesday afternoon. But in deciding to go home, I thought it would be cool to try walking home from downtown Portland. "Why?" you may ask.

Whimsy.

Only, I chose a bad time for it. For one, I left Andy's apartment around 11:45, which was when the sun was just getting to heating up the Portland area. Basically the entire time I spent walking were the hottest hours of the day, which sucked because I got really dehydrated. Also, on monday, I didn't want to be a total moocher, so I avoided borrowing food from Brad and Andy until they offered me some leftover Chinese food, which became my only food for that day. On tuesday, I only consumed a single brownie (the Girl Scout, not the dessert, but she was small) before treking about 10 miles across Portland and the various Eastern Suburbs. Suffice to say, I was starving by the time I collapsed at home.

The funny thing is, this isn't the first time I've done something like this. In fact, it's the third time I've hiked across Portland like that, and both of the other times I was just as dead and exausted afterwards... You'd think I would learn my lesson. Of course, my next goal is to walk from my house to Lewis & Clark College, but maybe I'll save that one for a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

So the man likes to walk. One could have more destructive hobbies.

August 18, 2004 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger 111 said...

What a whiner... One time I didn't eat for three days, and then I walked for 20 miles up and down a 10-mile-high hill covered in snow, but the sun was beating down on me at 105 degrees. By the time I reached the bottom of the other side the snow had almost finished melting and I slipped and broke my left knee cap straight in half.

August 20, 2004 at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home