Thursday, September 16, 2004

Skyline Swaying in the Breeze

So, I haven't updated in a while because, well, school is really busy. Due to my two 200 level English courses and my History course, I read over 100 pages every day. Plus, I have lengthy logic problem sets on top of that; all of which keeps me pretty busy considering I stop to play video games, socialize, and play tons and tons of ultimate frisbee (the definitive college sport). For those of you who may be mildly curious as to what I do, here's an example of some of the work I do in Major Periods and Issues in English Literature. College English courses are not so kind as to give you translated texts when reading Middle English works such as Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, so the student gets to do all the fun themselves. This is part of a larger stanza from the prologue to the Wife of Bath's tale. A small group, including myself, were given five minutes to translate a relatively easy passage. Here's the original middle English:

I trowe I loved him best for that he
Was of his love daungerous to me.
We wommen han, if that I shal not lie,
In this matere a quainte fantasye:
Waite what thing we may not lightly have,
Thereafter wol we crye al day and crave;
Forbede us thing, and that desiren we;
Preesse on us faste, and thanne wol we flee.
With daunger oute we al our chaff are:
Great prees at market maketh dere ware,
And too greet chepe is holden at litel pris.
This knoweth every womman that is wis.

Not too bad, considering some of the other older works we've translated. But it's really difficult when you're being timed. Here's my shitty translation; I focused more on presevering the original meaning and word order than the poetic meter and rhyme that you will find in professional translations.

I thought I loved him best because
his love was hard for me to get.
We women, and I shall not lie,
In this matter have a strange fantasy:
Whatever thing we may not easily have,
Will cause us to cry all day and crave;
Forbid us a thing, and we will desire more;
Press upon us fast, and we shall flee.
We carefully show our wares:
Great crowds at the market make our wares more expensive;
And too good of a bargain is of little value.
This every wise woman knows.

I suppose I should appreciate all of the work I'm doing and the new things I'm being exposed to, but this sort of work is really tiring considering I have to translate hundreds of lines for each class. I'll try to put a more interesting post for those of you who are less concerned with my academics in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger 111 said...

Less concerned? Try, Rooting for the equal opposite and complete demise of your academic success.

September 17, 2004 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger zamzummim said...

Frankly, I'm envious. I wish I could translate middle english. But I can't. I can write you an eloquent essay about Greek tragedies, but ask me to translate Shakespeare and I'm at a total loss. Speaking of Shakespeare, have you heard that the original quartos from his plays are available online now? They are here, and I think they are very interesting to look at. I always find it peculiar when "s" looks like "f" or the integral sign...

Wonderful job, keep up the good work, sorry I haven't commented on your blog before.

^•^

-n3philim

September 25, 2004 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home