Monday, March 29, 2004

Do not ignore my veins!

I used to believe that some wars were more terrible than others. I thought that the two world wars were horrible, but modern wars such as the conflicts in Korea, Vietnam, and the middle east were worse because you aren't fighting for some "great cause" of liberation or freedom. My view has definetely changed after reading All Quiet on the Western Front, which really depicts the pointlessness and hopelessness of war. I know I sound like some hippie or something, but the depiction of conflict in this novel really got to me. In total, I have read fiction covering the American Revolutionary War (My Brother Sam is Dead), the American Civil War (The Red Badge of Courage) and now World War I. And even as horrible as the first world war was, it was nothing compared to the destruction of the second world war, or "the great war" as the history channel so often labels it. It certainly makes me appreciate the atmosphere of Call of Duty that much more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home