Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Silence the discord

Everyone who enjoys science fiction should read this story, "The Last Question," by Isaac Asimov. I know that Andy and Brad have their own preferences, but Asimov is definitely my favorite author. This is one of his better short stories, which came out of one of his better books, Nine Tomorrows. It's only about eight pages long, so check it out. I am going to give a twenty minute presentation on the story, basically outlining how I believe that the format of the story chronicles the aging of a single character (in this case, mankind itself) and I think I can support that by pointing out some basic elements of fiction that lend themselves to a sort of, "coming of age story" for humanity. Let me know what you think about that if/when you read it.

So the Multnomah State Health people have taken over our Bon, effectively. Last Friday, about sixty people got terrible stomach flu/food poisoning symptoms all at once. Fortunately, the whole disease part seems to have blown over. Unfortunately, Bon Appetit has turned into a Nazi cafeteria of "no-touchy." All of the Bon workers where gloves, even the person who swipes your card, and we are given lemon-scented moist toilettes- which we are highly encouraged to use- when we enter. ALL food is served for you, except for drinks (which come out of the machine anyway) and you have to ask for silverware when you get your food because it is now located behind the counters. The already annoying lines have swollen because of the incredibly slow-going nature of the new safety precautions, making dinner a real chore. My friends have taken to acquiring a line buddy when you go to get pizza so you at least have someone to talk to for ten minutes. I hope this blows over soon, because I'm sick of going through so much inconvenience to get crappy food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home